Rugby In Galway
Founded in 1922, Galwegians has a long and distinguished history to the forefront of Connacht rugby. Galwegians have the record of winning most Connacht Senior Cups, in excess of 25 wins. In more recent times, Galwegians recorded three back-to-back Connacht Cup and League doubles between 2000-2002.
Galwegians surely hold the distinction of having provided more IRFU Presidents than any other club. The incumbents were Henry Anderson (1945-46), Johnny Glynn (1958-59), CP Crowley (1968-69), John Moore (1981-82), Bobby Deacy (1996-97) and last year’s President, Don Crowley.
Like all the city clubs Corinthians made extensive use of the Sportsground and the grounds of the adjacent Galway Grammar School for training and for matches. The club had many temporary homes in the early days such as the Skeffington Arms Hotel in Eyre Square for togging out and Cullinanes of Eglinton Street for committee meetings. In the mid sixties the club bought a three story private residence, Ard na Cregg, on College Road directly opposite the Grammar School and it proved a most popular club house and meeting place. Due to the continued expansion of the club particularly in the pioneering work of the underage section and the consequent need for more pitches the club bought a property in the townland of Cloonacauneen on the Tuam Road some fifteen years later, known today as Corinthian Park. IRFU President Des McKibbin opened the gleaming new facilities in 1985. Of course the old clubhouse Ard na Cregg gave its name to the popular ongoing competition of the same name. Corinthian Park is by any standards one of the best appointed clubhouses and grounds in the country.
Connacht Rugby Club
The Branch Headquarters is at Galway Sportsground, a ground shared with Bord na gCon. Teams representing the Connacht Branch play in all Interprovincial competitions, the Magners League and the Amiln Challenge Cup. The Connacht Senior Cup was first played for in 1886 with Galway town as its first winners. The Connacht Junior Cup was first played for in 1905 and the first winners were St Ignatius College Galway now know as Colainte Iognaid.